- PAELLA "VALENCIANA":
- 1/2 cup Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped into eighths
- 1 large green pepper, chopped into eighths
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 3/4 pound boneless pork loin
- 1/2 pound squid, tentacles and tubes
- 12 scallops, 10- 20 count
- 3/4 pound shrimp, 36-40 count
- 8 mussels
- 8 littleneck clams
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- Columbia Seasoning
- 1 whole bay leaf
- FOR GARNISH:
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup small peas, cooked
- 2 roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- 4 white asparagus tips
Using a mortar and pestle, pulverize the saffron to create a powder. In a small saucepan, heat chicken stock and add saffron. Allow saffron to dissolve; keep warm until use. Cut the squid into 3/4 inch-wide tubes. Cut the chicken and pork into approximately 1 inch pieces.
In a large Paella pan or large ovenproof casserole, heat ˝ cup olive oil on the stove and sauté onion, green pepper, tomatoes, and garlic until onion is transparent. Add pork and chicken to the pan, season with 2 tablespoons of Columbia Seasoning, and cook until meat is lightly browned on all sides. Add all of the seafood and sauté for 1 minute. Add chicken stock, bay leaf and rice; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and bake in oven at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until rice is done.
Sprinkle with wine and garnish with peas, roasted red peppers, and asparagus tips. Serve out of pan.
Yield: Recipe serves 4-6
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of The Columbia Restaurant/Ybor City, Tampa, Florida