- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg thickened and any floury taste is gone, about 8 minutes.
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden
spoon, for about 2 minutes; do not allow to brown.
2. While whisking constantly, add the milk, salt, pepper, and
nutmeg. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until it comes
to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium- low and continue to
cook until the sauce has thickened and any floury taste is gone, about 8 minutes.
3. Remove the sauce from the heat and transfer to a small heat-resistant bowl. Place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the béchamel and then set aside to cool. The béchamel can be stored in a resealable container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved