Orange, Walnut, and Goat Cheese Salad
There is something immensely satisfying about the combination of simple greens, toasted nuts, fresh oranges, and goat cheese. If you like, add thin slices of grilled or broiled chicken breast to this salad for a complete meal.
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 2 medium oranges
- 8 ounces mesclun salad greens or spring greens mix
- 2 shallots, cut into thin rings (about 1⁄3 cup)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 3 ounces soft, mild goat cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Spread the walnuts on a small baking sheet and toast until fragrant and lightly colored, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside until cooled slightly.
3. Cut away the peels from the oranges, leaving no white pith. Holding them over a small bowl, segment the oranges, catching any juices.
4. In a large bowl, combine the greens, orange segments, and shallot rings.
5. In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper,
sugar, and 2 tablespoons of the reserved orange juice. Whisk to combine. Taste, and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, tossing to coat it evenly. Add the goat cheese and chopped walnuts, and toss gently to combine. Season lightly with salt and pepper if desired, and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings