An impressive yet simple and mouth-watering dish that's sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
- 2 cups sambal oelek (ground fresh chili paste)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc nam)
- 2 tablespoons dark Asian sesame oil
- 3 pounds large shrimp (about 30 shrimp), peeled and deveined, head and tail segments intact
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint
1. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients except the shrimp, cilantro, and mint. Whisk well to combine. Allow the marinade to sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
2. Place the shrimp in a 1-gallon resealable plastic bag, and add all but 1 ⁄2 cup of the marinade to the bag. Allow the shrimp to marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
3. Preheat a grill to medium-high and oil the grill.
4. Place the shrimp on the grill and cook until they are just cooked through, 2 to 2 1 ⁄2 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked shrimp to a large bowl. Add the reserved 1 ⁄2 cup marinade, the cilantro, and the mint, and toss well to combine. Transfer the shrimp to a large serving bowl or platter, and serve immediately.
6 to 8 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved