Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon sliced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded medium-sharp cheddar cheese
Makes 1 1/2 quarts; serves 4 to 6
Heat olive oil in a 6-quart stockpot over medium heat. When hot, add onions, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper. Saute until onions are soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once stock is boiling, add broccoli and cook until fork-tender, about 5 minutes.
Remove soup from heat and let cool slightly, then puree soup mwith an immersion blender, adding cheese in three additions while blending. Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve hot.
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved