- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups finely diced yellow onion
- 1 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomato or canned, petite-diced tomato (drained)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, crushed between your fingers
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika or chile powder
- 1 pound black beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
- 1 cup finely diced ham
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 cup sliced hard-cooked eggs, for garnish
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion, for garnish
Serves 4 to 6
In a large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat, heat vegetable oil. When hot, add onion, red and green bell peppers, and tomato. Season with salt and pepper and let cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender and onions begin to caramelize, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and paprika and cook, 3 minutes. Add beans, jalapeno, stock, rum, and ham. Over medium-high heat, bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium low and cook until tender but not falling apart, 45 minutes.
Add 2 cups water and sea salt and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 to 40 minutes longer, or until beans begin to fall apart and soup thickens somewhat. Remove bay leaves.
Garnish with eggs and diced red onion.