Emeril's Perfect Mexican Salsa and Homemade Tortilla Chips
- 3 ripe tomatoes (about 3/4 pound) or one 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice of two limes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Emeril's Hot Sauce or other red hot sauce
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup corn tortillas, cut into quarters
Makes 1 cup
In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients and pulse until salsa is mostly smooth but still slightly chunky, about 7 pulses.
In a large, heavy deep pot or an electric fryer, heat 2 cups vegetable oil to 360 degrees. Deep-fry tortilla strips until lightly golden and crispy, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
Transfer salsa to a bowl. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and set aside until ready to serve with homemade tortilla chips.
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved