Peach Freezer Jam
If you want to preserve the fresh fruit of summer but donít feel like standing over a hot stove and sterilizing jars, this quick, foolproof method is for you.
- 2 3/4 cups finely chopped peeled and pitted ripe peaches (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 6 1/2 cups sugar 2 pouches (1 box) Certo liquid fruit
- pectin (6 ounces total)
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 vanilla bean, halved, seeds scraped out and reserved, bean cut into 8 small pieces
Combine the peaches and sugar in a large mixing bowl, and stir to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sugar should be nearly dissolved.
In a separate bowl, combine the pectin and lemon juice.
Stir the pectin mixture into the peach-sugar mix- ture, and stir constantly until the sugar is no longer grainy and is nearly completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Add the almond extract and the vanilla seeds, and stir to combine. Spoon the jam into clean 1⁄2-pint or pint jars. Place 1 or 2 pieces of vanilla bean inside each jar. Cover the jars and let stand at room temperature until the jam is set, up to 24 hours.
Store the jam in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 1 year. Defrost the jam in the fridge before serving.
Yield: Eight 1/2-pint or four 1-pint jars
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved