Roasted Red Pepper Mac and Cheese
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium red peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 pound whole wheat elbow macaroni or farfalle, cooked al dente
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the peppers and garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the flour, cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and 1 cup of the stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 6 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using a hand-held blender or food processor, puree until smooth. Add a bit more stock as necessary to correct sauce thickness. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
In a large bowl, combine the pasta, Monterey Jack, Cheddar and red pepper sauce, stirring to combine. Spray a 9-by-12-inch glass baking dish with vegetable spray. Pour in the mac and cheese.
Combine the Parmesan and the breadcrumbs. Top mac and cheese with a generous sprinkle of Parmesan topping. Place into the oven and cook until the mixture is heated through and the cheese is lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
Yield: 12 portions
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved