Egg Drop Soup
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 to 8 large spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup green onions (about 4 small), sliced diagonally
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, wiped clean, and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
In a medium saucepan or stockpot, bring the chicken broth to a simmer.
Stack the spinach leaves on top of each other and roll them up tightly. Thinly slice into ribbonlike strips.
Add the spinach, 6 tablespoons of the sliced green onion, the mushrooms, soy sauce, and white pepper to the broth.
When the broth begins to simmer again, gradually add the beaten eggs in a slow and steady stream. Use a fork or a chopstick to stir the broth ñ this will shred the eggs as they cook.
Cook the soup for 1 minute more and remove from the heat.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with remaining 2 tablespoons of sliced green onion. Serve hot.
Yield: 4 - 6 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved