- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeŇo pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala or an additional 11/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed, with juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium Idaho potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 cups assorted vegetables, such as green beans, cauliflower florets, carrots, red and yellow bell peppers, zucchini, and eggplant, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Cooked basmati rice, for serving, prepared according to package intructions
Heat the oil in a heavy Dutch oven or large heavy saucepan over high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
Add the ginger, garlic, jalapeŇo, curry powder, and garam masala and cook for 2 minutes, stirring, until fragrant.
Add the coconut milk, tomatoes, sugar, and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the potatoes and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are just fork-tender.
Add the remaining vegetables and chickpeas. Stir well to combine, cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring only occasionally, until the vegetables are tender but not falling apart, 40 minutes to 1 hour.
Serve with hot cooked rice, preferably basmati if available.
Yield: 6 - 8 servings