- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 small jalapeŇo, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (2 to 3 small Roma tomatoes)
- Crushed tortilla chips
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pit removed, and diced (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a medium stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
Add the garlic and jalapeŇo and sautČ for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes. The chicken will brown slightly.
Stir in the chicken broth, cumin, coriander, and lime juice.
Bring the soup to a boil, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Allow the soup to simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in the cilantro and tomatoes and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
Place about 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips in each serving bowl. Ladle the hot soup over the tortillas and garnish with a little extra cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream, and grated cheese, as you prefer.
Yield: 7 3/4 cups