Herbed Mediterranean Yogurt Cheese Spread
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon kosher or other coarse-grain salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Pita wedges, carrot sticks, radishes, celery sticks, cucumber slices, and Kalamata olives, for garnish (optional)
Place a colander or wire-mesh strainer over a medium mixing bowl. (Make sure that there is enough room between the bottom of the colander or strainer and the bowl for about an inch of liquid to drain off the yogurt.) Fold a large piece of cheesecloth in half and place inside the colander, draping the edges over the sides.
Pour the yogurt into the cheesecloth, and cover the entire bowl with plastic wrap. Place the yogurt in the refrigerator and chill overnight. (The longer the yogurt sits in the colander, the thicker the cheese will be!)
Remove the yogurt from the cheesecloth and place on a serving plate. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle the thyme, oregano, and parsley over the top of the cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
Serve the yogurt cheese with pita bread wedges, veggies, and Kalamata olives. The yogurt cheese will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Yield: 4 - 6 appetizer
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved