Maw Maw's Slaw with a Ginger Soy Dressing
This can be served as a great side with an Asian flair. Or try it in a sandwich, like the "Fried Spicy Ipswich Clam Rolls," recipe.
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 1/2 pound white Napa cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 pound red cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach, trimmed, washed, and shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 cup chopped green onions, green parts only
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons sugar
In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the egg, mustard, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Process until smooth. Season with black pepper. With the machine running, slowly add the oils in a steady stream and process until the mixture is thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
Place the Napa cabbage, red cabbage, spinach, red onions, green onions, parsley, and sugar in a large salad bowl. Mix well. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the greens and toss to mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve chilled. The slaw can be made three hours ahead.
Yield: 8 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved