Apple Brown Betty
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups stale plain cake crumbs (such as from sponge cake, pound cake, or angel food cake) or soft fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Using 1 tablespoon of the butter, liberally coat a 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish.
In a medium bowl combine the apples and lemon juice and toss to combine.
In a small bowl combine the cake crumbs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves and salt and toss to thoroughly combine.
Scatter 3 tablespoons of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the baking dish and top with half of the apples. Drizzle the apple cider over the apples then top with about half of the remaining crumb mixture. Dot with half of the remaining butter. Repeat with the remaining fruit, crumbs, and butter.
Bake until the apples are bubbly and tender and the crumbs are nicely browned, 45 to 50 minutes.
Cool briefly on a wire cooling rack before serving warm, with scoops of ice cream on top.
Yield: 6 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved