- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and small diced tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1 tablespoon apple brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Drizzle of Steen's 100 percent Pure Cane Syrup
- Confectioners sugar, for dusting
Pour oil into a large stockpot or fryer to a depth of 3 to 4 inches and preheat to 360 degrees F.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the sugar and cook for 30 seconds to dissolve the sugar. Add the lemon juice, water, apples, brandy and cinnamon. Cook the apples until they start to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, 1 tablespoon of melted butter, and the cooled apple mixture. Stir the flour mixture into the liquid mixture. Blend until the batter is incorporated. Allow the batter to stand for 15 to 20 minutes.†
Using a tablespoon measure or a small ice cream scoop, drop the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on paper-lined plate. To serve, mound the warm fritters on a platter and drizzle with cane syrup. Garnish the fritters with powdered sugar.
Yield: 1 1/2 to 2 dozen