Kid Friendly Kim Chee†
This is more of a pickle than an actual kim chee. Feel free to leave out the spice if your kids are sensitive to it. You can also add other vegetables like radishes and cucumbers.
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 large daikon radish (about 1/2 pound), peeled and julienned
- 2 small or 1 large zuchhini, julienned
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- Pinch cayenne, optional
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
Combine the carrots, radishes, zucchini, paprika, and chili garlic sauce in a large bowl.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cool to room temperature.
Add the cooled vinegar mixture to the vegetables and stir well. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature at least 8 hours or overnight. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Kim Chee will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.)
Yield: about 4 cups
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved