- One and one-half cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- One-half teaspoon salt
- One-half teaspoon baking soda
- One-half cup all-purpose flour
- One and one-half cups cornmeal
- One-fourth cup vegetable oil
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the first five ingredients together. Stir in the cornmeal and flour. Make a well in the batter and slowly add the oil while incorporating it into the batter. Heat about a teaspoon of oil in a 9-inch skillet, preferably iron, until it just beings smoking. Pour batter into the pan, place in the preheated oven, and bake for about 25 minutes. (Check the bread at 20 minutes.. if a toothpick comes out clean, remove from the oven).
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved