Black Eyed Pea Salad
In the deep South folks feel pretty strongly about their black-eyed peas! In fact, they love them so much that they even make a salad out of them !
- 5 cups cooked and drained dried black-eyed peas (see Note)
- 4 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled, fat reserved separately
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onions (1/2 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalape�os
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the black-eyed peas, bacon, 3 tablespoons reserved bacon fat, and all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss well to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight, stirring occasionally.
Allow the salad to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Toss well just before serving.
Makes 6 cups, 8 servings
Note: To make 5 cups cooked black-eyed peas: Soak 2 cups dried black-eyed peas for 4 hours. Drain the peas and place them in a large saucepan. Add water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until just tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl to cool.
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved