- 6 rashers Irish bacon, chopped
- 2 small spring onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds kale, tough stems removed, leaves rinsed well and left damp, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Irish butter
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large saute pan, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan.
Return the pan to medium-high heat. Add the butter and when melted, add the onions and garlic, and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the damp kale and stir to combine. Add the stock and stir. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover, add the cream and lemon juice, and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the kale is very tender. Add the bacon and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
Yield: 4 servings