Zesty Lemon Chicken
This is easy! Round out the meal with sauteed string beans or bok choy. If you don't have a wok, just use a large saute pan.
- 6 tablespoons mild flavored honey
- 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon pulp
- 2 tablespoons plum sauce or duck sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken breast, butterflied
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cooking oil, plus more if needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or as needed
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion for garnish
- Steamed rice, for servings
Make the sauce by whisking the honey, lemon juice, zest and pulp together in a small bowl until blended. Stir in the plum sauce and soy sauce and pour into a small saucepan; set aside.
In a small bowl, combine egg with the salt and white pepper. Lightly coat the chicken with the cornstarch; dip into the egg mixture and coat in the cornstarch again. Let it stand for 5 minutes. Shake off the excess cornstarch prior to cooking.
In a wok, heat the oil until hot. Cook the chicken, a couple pieces at a time, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium heat; add the cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Adjust the consistency with the chicken broth as needed.
Cut the chicken across the grain into 1/2-inch slices. Place the chicken on a serving plate. Pour the sauce on top and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Serve with steamed rice.
Yield: 4 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved