- FIRST LAYER:
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- SECOND LAYER:
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder (or instant vanilla pudding mix)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- THIRD LAYER:
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler or in heavy saucepan. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in graham cracker crumbs, coconut and nuts. Press firmly in an ungreased 9-inch square pan.
Cream together the butter, milk, custard powder and confectioners' sugar. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.
Melt the chocolate and butter over low heat. Cool. When cool but still runny, spread over second layer. Chill in refrigerator. Use a sharp knife to cut.
Makes approximately 16 bars
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved