Crispy Crunchy Granola Munchies
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup mixed nuts, including slivered almonds and coarsely chopped pecans and walnuts
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup hulled green pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins or golden raisins (or a combination of both)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or blueberries
- 1/4 cup dried banana chips
Be very careful when stirring the hot nut mixture!
Make sure the oven rack is in the center position and preheat the oven to 325?F.
Combine the honey and butter in a small saucepan. Heat on low heat and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
Combine the oats, mixed nuts, coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and salt in a large bowl. Stir with a large wooden spoon to mix well.
Pour the honey butter over the oat mixture and stir until well combined.
Spread the granola evenly in a thin layer on a baking sheet.
Bake, stirring every 5 minutes with a wooden spoon to prevent the granola from sticking or burning, until fragrant and golden brown, about 20 minutes. (Do not overcookóthe granola will crisp as it cools.)
Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the baking sheet from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. When completely cooled, transfer the granola to a large mixing bowl and stir in the dried fruit.
Transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Yield: 6 generous cups
An airtight container is importantóthis will keep your Crispy-Crunchy Granola Munchies fresh!
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved