- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds linguine, cooked to al dente
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds littleneck clams, scrubbed well
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano or basil
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, to taste
- VIVA LAS VEGAS TOMATO SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chopped, peeled tomatoes, with their juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- º teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of sugar, optional
Bring 1 gallon of water and the salt to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Add the linguine and cook, stirring occasionally to keep the pasta from sticking together, until just al dente, about 9 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring until golden, about 1 minute. Add the crushed red pepper, wine, tomato sauce, and cook for 1 minute. Add the clams, stir well, cover, and cook until the clams open, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the parsley and oregano. Discard any unopened clams.
Drain the linguine. Add to the clam sauce and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a large pasta bowl, sprinkle with cheese to taste, and serve with crusty Italian bread.
Serves 6 to 8
VIVA LAS VEGAS TOMATO SAUCE:
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, and white pepper, and cook stirring, until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and basil, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the stock and black pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 minutes.
If needed, add the sugar to balance the acidity, and cook for 1 minute. Serve with the Linguine with Clam Sauce, or tightly cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days until ready to serve.
Makes 3 cups