Adrienne's Fall Corn Chowder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- Three and one-half cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- One-half teaspoon dried thyme
- One-half teaspoon dried marjoram
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 small can Ortega chilies
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomatillos
- 3 small boxes frozen corn (30 ounces total)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- One-half teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, for garnish
Heat the butter in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Heat the milk in a saucepan. Add the bay leaf, thyme, marjoram, and the peppercorns. Just before the milk comes to a boil, add the onions, remove from the heat and cover.
In a food processor, puree the chilies, tomatillos and 2 boxes of the corn.
Add the pureed mixture and the remaining box of corn to the milk mixture. Simmer over very low heat for 30 minutes. Add salt to taste.
Pour the soup into individual bowls over cubes of cheddar. Garnish with the cilantro. Serve with warm crusty bread.
Make 4 to 6 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved