Kicked Up Pasta Rags with Vodka Sauce
- 1/4 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- 4 sheets fresh pasta, (about 1 pound) torn into rags about 3-inches by 1-inch each
- Grated parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
In a skillet cook the bacon over medium-high heat until the fat is rendered and just beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and crushed red pepper and sauté until soft and slightly caramelized, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and stir well to combine. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add the vodka and cook until slightly reduced, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the peas and cream, and cook, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.
Cook the pasta in the boiling water until just al dente, about 2 minutes. Drain in a colander. Add to the pasta sauce, and toss to combine. Serve immediately with grated parmesan cheese (if desired).
Yield: 4 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved