- 1/2 pound medium red beets, washed, stems and leaves removed
- 1/2 pound medium golden beets, washed, stems and leaves removed
- 1/2 cup unsalted, shelled sunflower seeds
- 1 bulb fennel, cored, halved and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 6 cups mache
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 6 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 8 French bread croutons, as accompaniment
`oven to 425?F.
Wrap the red beets in one large piece of aluminum foil, and the golden beets in another large piece of aluminum foil, closing the packets tightly.
Roast in the oven until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven, unwrap the beets and cool.
When the beets are cool enough to handle, Peel and cut them into 1/2-inch cubes and set aside. Place the beets in a small bowl.
Spread the sunflower seeds on a small baking sheet and toast lightly in the oven, about 3 minutes, shaking once during cooking to turn. Remove from the oven and cool.
Place the fennel and mache in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, mix together the shallots, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and whisk in the oil in a steady stream to emulsify. Toss the beets with a small amount of the dressing, and the fennel and mache with the remaining dressing. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the mache and fennel among 4 salad plates. Arrange the beets on top of the greens, and top with the crumbled cheese.
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of nuts over each salad and serve with toasted French bread croutons.
Yield: 4 servings