Whole Lotta Nuts Granola
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup hulled green pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds or pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2† teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins, or chopped dates
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or blueberries, or combination
Preheat oven to 325°F.
In a small saucepan melt butter with honey over low heat, stirring.
In a large bowl stir together oats, almonds, coconut, pumpkin, sunflower seeds, pecans, cinnamon and salt. Pour butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until combined well.
On a large baking sheet, spread the granola evenly in a thin layer. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes to keep from sticking or burning, until golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. (Do not overcook; the granola will crisp more when cooled.)
Cool the granola on the pan on top of the stove and stir in dried fruits. Granola may be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Serve at room temperature in a bowl with milk, or as a snack.
Yield: about 6 cups
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved