Emeril's "Paniolo" - Hawaiian Cowboy Steak
- Two 1-pound rib-eye steaks
- 1/2 cup hoisin
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup mirin, or dry sherry
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced Hawaiian peppers, or chili paste
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 Maui onions, peeled and cut into thick slices about 1/4- to 1/2-inch , slices kept together not separated
- 2 tablespoons Emerilís Original Essence
- 1 tablespoon crushed Sichuan peppercorns
In a bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients, except the onions and Essence.
Place the steaks in a large zip-lock bag with the marinade. Seal and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, and up to 36 hours.
Preheat a grill.
Remove the steaks from the marinade and pat dry. Season both sides with 1 tablespoon of the Essence and the peppercorns. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer until thickened and reduced by one-third in volume, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
Sprinkle the thick onion slices with the remaining 1 tablespoon of Essence.
Grill the steaks until medium-rare, about 6 minutes per side. At the same time, grill the onions (as though grilling a patty, so the rings stay together) until golden and char-marked by the grill, turning once.
Remove the steaks from the grill and top with the grilled onions. Serve with the reduced marinade as sauce.
Yield: Serves 2 hungry cowboys, or 4 regular folks
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved