Vodka and Citrus Cured Salmon
- One 2-pound salmon fillet, with skin
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup lemon-flavored vodka (such as Absolut Citron)
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (from about 6 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest (from about 3 oranges)
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest (from about 8 limes)
Remove any tiny pinbones from the salmon with a pair of needle-nose pliers or tweezers. Rinse the salmon under cold running water and pat dry. Place it, skin side down on several large sheets of plastic wrap.
Combine the salt, sugar, dill, vodka, and lemon, orange, and lime zests in a small mixing bowl. Spread evenly over the flesh side of the fish, pressing it into the flesh. Wrap the salmon tightly in the plastic wrap and place skin side down in a baking dish. Place a flat glass or ceramic dish on top of the salmon and weight the dish with several heavy cans or a brick. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours.
Remove the salmon from the refrigerator and unwrap. Rinse under cold running water to completely remove the curing mixture. Pat dry.
With a sharp knife, slice the salmon diagonally into paper-thin slices, holding the knife almost parallel to the work surface. Serve as desired.
Yield: 8 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved