- 1/4 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- One 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound fresh pasta sheets, torn into 3 x 1-inch ìrags,î or fresh fettuccine
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving
Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat just until crisp, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are deep golden, soft, and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the vodka and cook until the sauce is slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Stir in the cream and peas. Cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil. Cover and keep warm.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta in the boiling water until just al dente, about 4 minutes. Drain in a colander. Return to the pot.
Add the sauce to the pasta and mix well. Serve immediately in soup bowls, with the cheese passed on the side.
Yield: 4 servings