- 1 pork butt (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 Cuban or French bread loaves, each about 12 inches long
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 pound sliced smoked ham
- Hamburger dill chips (thin slices of pickles), 8 to 10 slices per sandwich
Preheat the oven to 250ºF.
Season the pork generously with salt and pepper. Place in the center of a shallow roasting pan and roast until the meat is very tender, about 6 hours. Remove from the oven, let cool, then shred.
Cut the bread loaves in half lengthwise. Smear the butter on each half. Layer with the pork, cheese, ham, and the pickles on one half, then top with the second half of the loaf. Press together firmly. Heat the griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Place 1 or 2 sandwiches at a time on the griddle, put a weight on each, then heat them for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Slice each sandwich in half before serving hot.
Yield: 4 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved