- 2 cups olive oil
- 4 cups cubed Italian or French bread
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound salami in 1 piece, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Heat the oil to hot but not smoking in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Fry the bread in batches and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often to keep the cubes from sticking. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Toss the remaining ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add the bread cubes and toss again.
Arrange the salad on a serving platter and pass to serve.
The salad can be made ahead of time and chilled. If this is done, add the bread just before serving.
Yield: 4 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved