Gateau De Sirop
- CAKE BATTER:
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon solid vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Steenís 100% Pure Cane Syrup
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- SUGAR-CINNAMON TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup pecan pieces
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Grease a 9-inch cake pan with 1 tablespoon of the shortening.
Cream together the remaining shortening, the sugar, and syrup in a mixing bowl. Add the water and mix well. Add the egg and mix again.
Mix together the baking powder, cinnamon, salt, flour, nutmeg, and baking soda and beat until smooth.
Pour into the pan and bake for 35 minutes, or until the cake sets and slightly shrinks from the side of the pan. Remove and cool slightly.
Combine all the topping ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
After the cake has cooled slightly, spread the topping evenly over the cake and return the cake to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the topping melts.
Cut into wedges to serve. It can be served warm or at room temperature.
Yield: one 9-inch cake, 6 to 8 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved