Whiskey-braised Apple Sauce
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger (about a 2 inch piece)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Bourbon
- optional:† 1/4 pound of butter
In a saucepan, melt butter and sauté ginger for 1 minute. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and bourbon. Simmer uncovered until apples are very tender, about 45 minutes.
Puree in a blender until “apple butter” consistency.
To kick it up a notch: whisk in 1/4 pound of butter after pureeing applesauce.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved