- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne
- 5 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 1/2 pounds lean pork butt, cut into 1-inch thick slices, 4 to 5 ounces each
Combine the salt, black pepper, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder in a shallow bowl. Dredge each slice of pork in the spice mix.
Using your fingers, press the spice mix well into each piece. Pack in plastic wrap, about four to a pack. Wrap securely. Refrigerate for at least 3 days or up to 1 week to allow the spices to seep into the meat.
To smoke the strips, follow the directions for “HOT-SMOKING SAUSAGES”. Place the strips around the outermost part of the grill rack and hot-smoke for 15 minutes, without flipping.
Pack the tasso in 1/2-pound packages and store in the freezer indefinitely.
Yield: about 2 1/2 pounds
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved