Brown Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 pounds raw chicken bones, including necks and backs, skin removed and rinsed in cool water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 5 bay leaves
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup red wine
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Toss the chicken bones with the vegetable oil. Season the onions, celery, and carrots with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread the bones and vegetables evenly on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes.
Remove from the oven and spoon the tomato paste evenly over the bones and vegetables. Return to the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and turn the bones and vegetables into a large stockpot over high heat. Scrape the baking sheet to loosen any browned particles and add to the pot. Add the peppercorns, thyme, oregano, basil, bay leaves, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the water, and red wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for about 2 hours. Let cool.
Remove any fat that has risen to the surface. Strain. Store in 1- or 2-cup containers in the freezer.
Yield: 1 quart
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved