- 4 large baking potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and grated
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil (optional)
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (scallions), green parts only
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 pound white cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Shaved or sliced black truffles for garnish (optional)
Wrap the grated potatoes in a large clean towel and squeeze out the excess starch. Get them as dry as possible. Unwrap and put the potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of the salt, 1 teaspoon of the white pepper, and the olive oil and toss to mix well. Form the mixture into 12 small cakes about 3 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick.
Heat the vegetable oil in a 10 or 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it's hot but not smoking. Fry the cakes, several at a time, until they are golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
Pour off the oil and wipe the skillet clean set aside.
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved