New England Boiled Dinner
- 2 1/2 pounds corned beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices, 3 bay leaves and 5 black peppercorns, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 carrots, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 parsnips, cut into chunks
- 2 turnips, cut into chunks
- 1 small cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Horseradish cream:
- 1 cup sour cream
- Up to 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Salt and pepper
In a large pot combine the meat, the spice bag and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours. Add vegetables and salt. Simmer 30 minutes more.
Make horseradish cream: In a small bowl combine sour cream and horseradish; season to taste with salt, pepper and Tabasco.
To finish, remove corned beef to a carving board and slice against the grain. Transfer to a large, warmed, deep platter. Drain broth and reserve for soup, if desired. Arrange vegetables around meat and serve.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved