Andouille Cheese Grit Cakes
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup cooked, crumbled Andouille sausage (about 6 ounces uncooked)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup flour seasoned with 1 teaspoon Creole spice
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs seasoned with 1 teaspoon Creole spice
- 1 tablespoon oil
In a saucepan bring 1 cup of water to a boil, whisk in grits and butter; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, just until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in sausage and cheese and cook 3 minutes more. Pour grits out into a buttered pie pan. Set aside to cool and firm up.
Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter cut out 4 cakes. Dredge cakes in seasoned flour, dip in egg wash, then dredge in bread crumbs, patting to make crumbs adhere. Heat oil in a skillet, add grit cakes and pan fry, turning once, until browned on both sides. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake in oven with quail until hot.
Yield: 2 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2013 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved