- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups tomato concassČ (peeled, seeded and diced)
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons each chopped parsley, basil, and oregano
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a colander toss eggplant slices with about 1 tablespoon salt, cover with a small plate, weight, and leave to drain 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant sliced and pat dry. In a bowl combine tomatoes, onions, peppers, and garlic. In another bowl combine olive oil, herbs and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Oil an 8x10-inch baking dish.
Cover bottom of dish with a layer of eggplant slices, slightly overlapping. Drizzle with herbed oil, and season with salt and pepper. Top with zucchini, then summer squash, seasoning each layer. Top with about 1/3 of tomato mixture. Repeat with remaining vegetables, oil and tomato mixture, ending with a layer of sliced vegetables. Top with remaining cup of Parmesan. Bake 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender and top is lightly browned. Allow to cool slightly before cutting and serving.
Yield: 8 to 10 side dish servings