- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 3 medium red peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup small diced red onions
- 2 tablespoons small diced red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons small diced yellow bell peppers
- 1/4 pound fiddlehead ferns, blanched
- 1/2 pound crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 12 sea scallops
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup coarse black pepper
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the roasted peppers and garlic, and season again with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 6 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Using a handheld blender or food processor, puree until smooth. Set aside and keep warm.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onions and peppers, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the fiddlehead ferns and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the crabmeat and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Season the scallops with salt. Crust each scallop, both sides, with the black pepper. Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the scallops, and sear for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat. To serve, spoon the sauce in the center of each plate. Mound the relish in the center of the sauce. Arrange three scallops around the relish on each plate.
Yield: 4 servings