- 1 1/2 pounds pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound pork fat, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon ground dried summer savory
- 1 pint container of 1 1/2-inch casings
In a large mixing bowl, add the pork, beef and pork fat. In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients together. Mix well. Toss the meat with the seasoning blend and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Grind the meat twice in a meat grinder fitted with a 1/2-inch die. A food processor could also be used. Stuff the ground mixture into the casings to form 12-inch links.
Prepare the smoker. Place the sausages in the smoker and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
Prepare the steamer. Place the sausages in the steamer and cook for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
Place the sausage back in the smoker and continue to smoke for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
Yield: about 2 1/2 pounds
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved