Make this your finale to a Caribbean meal, or serve it up when you're craving for coconut!
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Mount Gay Rum
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups grated fresh coconut
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 egg whites, sweetened and whipped to stiff peaks
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a large ovenproof baking dish. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and rum. Whisk in the milk and coconut milk. Add the butter, fresh coconut and breadcrumbs. Whisk well. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Increase the temperature to 450 degrees F. Spread the meringue over the top of the pudding evenly. Place bake in the oven for a couple of minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Copyright 2001 - 2014 Emerils.com All Rights Reserved