- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups chopped red cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 10 ounces dark beer
- 4 ounces celery root, peeled and thinly sliced (heaping 1/2 cup)
- In a large, heavy saute pan, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until golden and the fat is rendered, 4 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the cabbage, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and beer, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes. Add the celery root and cook, stirring, until tender, 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve.