- 3 large, ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup minced cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup minced red onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh jicama
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- Chef demos how to pit and peel and avocado and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place all but 1/4 cup of the avocado pieces. Add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, 1 teaspoon of the jalapeno, 1/2 teaspoon of the cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of the garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and a pinch of cayenne, and mash with the back of a fork until smooth. Add 1/4 cup of the onions, 1/4 cup of the tomatoes and 1/4 cup of the jicama to the avocado mixture, and stir well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients with the crabmeat and gently toss to combine. Fold the crabmeat mixture into the mashed avocado mixture, stirring to combine, but being careful not to break up the crabmeat.
- Season to taste. Divide among 4 chilled Martini glasses and serve with tortilla chips.