- 1 cup brown rice
- One-half cup black barley that had been parboiled for 30 minutes
- Three and one-half cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces thickly sliced mushrooms that have been *lightly sautÈed in 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup coarsely grated carrots
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- One-fourth teaspoon celery seed
- One-fourth cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add all the ingredients, except the parsley and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook until all the liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the parsley and toss, or place in a serving bowl and sprinkle the parsley over the top.
- *The reason I only lightly sautéed the mushrooms is that this brings out the flavor of the mushrooms while keeping them a bit plump, adding a nice texture to the pilaf.