- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 large egg*
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Place the lemon halves, cut sides down, on the grill and cook until charred, about 1 minute.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the bowl of a blender or food processor. Add the egg and 1 tablespoon water and process for 20 seconds. With the processor running, slowly pour in the olive and vegetable oils through the feed tube and process until emulsified, adding additional water 1 tablespoon at a time to thin the mayonnaise to drizzling consistency. Add the salt and cayenne pulse to blend.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste, transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using. (Mayonnaise will keep refrigerated for up to 24 hours.) ?Yield: about 1 1/4 cups
- *RAW EGG WARNING The American Egg Board states: "There have been warnings against consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs on the grounds that the egg may be contaminated with Salmonella, a bacteria responsible for a type of foodborne illness. Healthy people need to remember that there is a very small risk and treat eggs and other raw animal foods accordingly. Use only properly refrigerated, clean, sound-shelled, fresh, grade AA or A eggs. Avoid mixing yolks and whites with the shellÖ"