- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup Real Whipped Cream 
- Place the water, cocoa, and sugar in a saucepan and whisk until smooth.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Make sure your wooden spoon stirs the entire surface of the saucepan bottom, otherwise the cocoa will clump and your hot chocolate will not be smooth.
- Add the milk, cream, chocolate chips, and vanilla extract to the saucepan, stirring constantly until the chocolate chips have melted and the hot chocolate is smooth and well blended, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and ladle into mugs, garnishing each with 1/4 cup of the Real Whipped Cream.