- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped fresh fruit, such as strawberries, peaches or bananas
- In a large, nonreactive saucepan, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla and bring to a gentle boil. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and let cool. Pour the custard into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until well chilled. Add the fruit, then pour into the ice cream freezer can, and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
- If you can get your hands on fresh figs, this is one of the best ice creams I've ever put in my mouth. Oh, and I must warn you, since it's a "no-cook" preparation, please be sure to use the freshest eggs you can find. Check the date on the carton. We don't want anyone getting that nasty old salmonella stuff.